The greatest desire and need for all of humanity is connection. In addition to that, and in order to truly relate to others, we all want to be attractive, approachable, and appreciated. We may feel like we are approachable in our everyday lives and socially, but are we really that accessible and welcoming at work?
The likely answer is that we are not.
An open-door policy in the workplace does not always truly translate to an open heart and easy access to those around us.
So, how do we increase our workplace approachability?
The answer it to focus on ourselves.
It may sound counter-intuitive, but in order for others to like us and for us to be likeable, we need to “like ourselves.” We need to commit to feeling good about ourselves, building our own self-esteem, our own confidence, and our own fulfillment, so that we can radiate that towards others. Like attracts like. What goes around comes around.
And how do we do that?
- Stop the negative self-talk and eliminate pessimistic language from our vocabulary. No-one ever got better at anything by beating themselves up.
- Brain up! Begin researching and learning about new and interesting things. Knowledge is power, but also fosters inner strength.
- Ask questions. Again, the more we know, the better we feel. And, don’t be afraid to ask for help.
- Focus on our successes. Congratulate ourselves for how far we’ve come and for our wins at work (and in life). We deserve it.
- Pretend and practice until it’s nearly perfect. Rather than undervaluing the things we struggle with, “fake it until we make it,” and realize we’re in a learning curve and things will come around soon enough. But, also remember #3, don’t be afraid to ask for help.
And don’t forget to have fun. Attitude is contagious. As we smile, increase our productivity and our fulfillment at work, we will be happier, and so will those around us. This all, in turn, will make us more approachable at work.
Get ready, some of us may just become the “next best thing” to everyone around us.